Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
After a fire, SERVPRO of Chatsworth/Stevenson Ranch stresses the importance of safety first! Here are some tips to help you assess the situation:
- Always follow the directions of local firefighters and leave the premises for the recommended period of time
- If it is safe to return to your property, be careful of wet surfaces as "slip and fall" hazards exist after firefighters put out a fire
- Avoid burn areas if you or anyone else has respiratory health concerns as the air may not be clean at this point
- Do not try to perform any activities that you are not trained to complete
If your property has experienced fire or smoke damage, contact SERVPRO of Chatsworth/Stevenson Ranch today! (661) 705-4999
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (818) 709-6090
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.